Wednesday 12 March 2008

Not one arrow...

0
I was in the attic last night hoking out some stuff, but I thought it was a perfect opportunity to visit some old friends - my books, which are mostly boxed up and in there due to decluttering the house in the bid to sell. But the first book I came to was "John G. Patton. Autobiography".
The moment I saw this book, one section of it came immediately to mind, so I sat down and sought it out.

"My peace came back to me like a wave from God. I realized that I was immortal till my Master's work with me was done. The assurance came to me, as if a voice out of Heaven had spoken, that not a musket would be fired to wound us, not a club prevail to strike us, not a spear leave the hand in which it was held vibrating to be thrown, not an arrow leave the bow, or a killing stone the fingers, without the permission of Jesus Christ, whose is all power in Heaven and on Earth. He rules all Nature, animate and inanimate, and restrains even the savages of the South Seas. In that aweful hour I saw His own words, as if carved in letters of fire upon the clouds of Heaven:
"Seek and ye shall find. Whatsoever ye shall ask in My name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son." I could understand how Stephen and John saw the glorified Saviour as they gazed up through suffering and persecution to the Heavenly Throne!
Yet I never could say that on such occasions I was on such occasions without fear. Nay, I have felt my reason reeling, my sight coming and going, and my knees smiting together when thus brought close to a violent death, but mostly under the solemn thought of being ushered into Eternity and appearing before God. Still I was never left without that promise in all its consoling and supporting power coming up through the darkness and anguish, "Lo, I am with you alway." And with Paul I could say, even in this dread moment an crisis of being, "I am persuaded that neither death nor life,... nor any other creature, shall separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.""

Now that's something to read from a man talking about an occasion when tribal people were threatening to kill him! And is certainly a great anthem of the sovereignty of God over life and death and persecutions.
This was not a man who did not feel fear of men and death, he did, but he was one who knew whom to fear; "But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell" Jesus says!

He had confidence in God because He knew Him through the Word of God, constantly bringing us to the Scriptures that gave him confidence in this moment.
And Patton here without saying it, challenges us about our own fear of men, fear of God and confidence in God's sovereign rule over All of Heaven and Earth and All that is in them. Perhaps if we had more faith in God in this way we would do greater exploits and with boldness we would declare this Gospel of Jesus Christ throughout planet Earth no matter what!

Praise God for such examples of God glorifying boldness amidst adversity, I know my cowardly heart needs to be inspired, refreshed and encouraged by such men, who have tread this path before us!
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

No comments: