Friday 20 October 2023

Just Write It - Thoughts on Self Publishing & KDP Part 1

0

 


For 10 years I had scribbled and typed, working at a story yet never quite getting anywhere. Then I read a blog post by Steven A. McKay and found the guts to actually write with an intent to publish. 

It took, perhaps, another two years before I finally finished my first novel and set about publishing with Amazon's KDP program.

I'll get to KDP in another part, but for now I'd encourage anyone with an idea or inspiration for a book to open their laptop and start typing. 

It Needs Written

Perhaps it's a story, burning in your imagination. Perhaps it's a collection of your parent's poetry or thoughts. Perhaps it's something you've studied and spent years accumulating knowledge about, that you'd like to pass. There is of course no guarantee of success, but it is 100% guaranteed that if you don't write it, no one will ever read it.

The Cost of Self Publishing 

KDP is free for the author, so there's no need for financial risks at this point. The only risk is time, effort and pride. It does take time and effort to author a book, yet for me the greatest risk is a wound to my ego. 

I've always had a fear of putting myself out there only to find I'm 'one of 'THOSE' Xfactor singers'. You know who I mean. 

I'm lucky enough that so far, the biggest and constant criticism of my books is that they are too bloody and violent. I agree with that critical assumption, though I actually see it as a compliment. However I know that the longer my books remain on the world wide web, the closer I get to receiving negative reviews. I see it with well established authors and it is something I quake in my boots about, though I know I'll just have to take it on the chin.

Be You

You and I may not be in the same league as Bernard Cornwell, Stephen King or Brandon Sanderson, yet we have unique perspectives and ideas. When I started writing I wanted to write in the same style I tell my children 'made-up' stories at night. In other words, I want it to be in my style. 

Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

No comments: