Tuesday 18 October 2011

Jesus bore the cross so that i don't have to bear one? Really?

0
I read these words this morning:
"Jesus bore the cross so that you don't have to."
I'm pretty positive i've used this phrase before myself, but this morning Mark 8:34 came to mind.
"If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."
While there is truth in the first statement it confuses the meaning of bearing a cross. Jesus did go to the cross and bear the wrath of God so we don't have to taste that wrath. But throughout the New Testament and particularly in the teachings of Jesus, it is clear that His disciples do indeed have a cross to bear as they follow Him. [It could be a case of semantics, but then again it helps to be clear about the Gospel.]

Jesus bore the cross so that i don't have to i can take up mine.
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

No comments: