Monday 23 August 2010

The BBCU

6
The BBCU is an important part of our daily communication.
It is especially important when it comes to the gossiping about, or slagging of someone else.

We may spend ten minutes ripping to shreds a persons character, skills, style, actions and words etc. Then perform a BBCU such as "He's a good fella" or "He does a good work"

BBCU means 'Back-Bite Cover-Up'

Any gossiping slanderer is primarily on the attack as they send a tirade of words in an assault against someone (who is most likely not even there). Of the few weapons of defence used by us in slander we usually perform a Back-Bite Cover-Up; not as means of salvaging the persons reputation, but of protecting our own. The BBCU is all about having our listeners go away thinking that our last words were complimentary and we had a balanced assessment of the target.

The BBCU is an attempt to draw attention away from the sins of our mouth which have poured forth in the moments before. It is a 'tap-on' at the end to make us look less like a back-biting, gossiping, slanderous, sinner who's state is probably worse than the one who we focussed our attack on.


Why am i writing a post about it? I don't really know . . . it's a practice among some of my friends to point out BBCU's as we use them and i guess it's made it easy to spot in other areas.
Watch out for them, and i guess more importantly we should set guard over our own lips so that we don't speak words that gossip or lead to a BBCU.

What BBCU phrases can you think of?
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

6 comments:

Diane said...

How about:

"Ah well, sure as long as he/she is happy that's all that matters", or "I'm sure he draws a crowd in one of those African places, but I didn't enjoy him".

Those are just the ones I can remember at the moment!

Boaly said...

Diane i love the name of your blog 'Who's that Numpty' brilliant!
And i got a really good recipe for telling my chicken to get stuffed.
Cheers for the BBCU's i'm gonna try slip them into a conversation (without backbiting first)

ash said...

Ooh, good post. My favorites are "I'm only telling you so you can pray for him/her," or "You know how I hate to say bad things about anyone, but..."

And some local flavor from the American south: "Of course, I love her to death" (uh-huh, that accounts for all the back-stabbing), and the oh-so-condescending tag "Bless her heart" (which roughly translates to "My, isn't she stupid!")

Boaly said...

Ah bless your heart Ash that last one is hillarious! ! !
Brilliant . . . well not really but you know what i mean

Family Blogs said...

Excellent post Gary - and very challenging about how we use our words.

The BBCU's that I can immediately think of are:

'I'm not saying anything about them, that I wouldn't say to their face' (which being translated means, 'There's no way I'd actually tell them this').

or

'I don't mean to gossip but...'

Someone once gave me a good rule of thumb on this: if you wouldn't write it down and send it to the person, then you shouldn't say it.

Blessings,
A

Joel said...

In some of the more rural parts of America (like mine), saying "bless his/her heart" makes it sound like you're just making a kindly observation on someone you love, rather than a snide remark.