Thursday 29 July 2010

Growing Up In Church - Leaving the Church of your Youth

1
I grew up in a Church. There wasn't a time when i can remember not going.
Even before my dad had a car we would 1walk there whatever the weather; trudging the mile or so in scorching heat or Noahic rain.

It was a real family church and every one knew every one. In fact some of the guys who, to this day remain my closest friends, grew up there as well.
Sunday School, GoodNews Club, Boy's Brigade, Youth Club etc were all huge parts of my youth. I taught Sunday school prior to coming to Christ, and Bible class after God saved me. I went from boy to NCO in the BB and became one of the leaders at youth club. They were great days, and i cherish the memory of them.

Recently i've been missing many of these things, especially the people.

I can't say that i regret having left. You see the teaching was poor, and the denominational stance upon many things conflicted with the 2reformed beliefs that were already beginning to take shape as i read Scripture. I was hungry to learn and so i left.

This has been problematic in that i haven't really 4settled anywhere since. I guess no Church is really like the one you grow up in. It's hard (not impossible) to make new friends in the same depth as those you've known since childhood. And it's difficult (again, not impossible) to get highly involved again.

Out of this, i'd encourage anyone who may be considering a church move, to really think about it. Sure doctrinally you may have to; I honestly believe that i made the right decision.
Yet it undoubtedly has its drawbacks and you could find yourself very unsettled, even in the best of Churches. And if you do leave, do it 3graciously.




1 We were pretty sure we'd get a lift home, unless we went by bike, in which case you'd to cycle home.
2 I use the word 'reformed' in reference to the Calvinistic branch of the 16th century protestant reformation, and to distinguish from other branches of evangelicalism
3 I wish i'd conducted my departure much more graciously.
4 This is my own fault, laziness & sin have undoubtedly been involved
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

1 comment:

supersimbo said...

I think one of the reasons i have found it easier to settle in Church as an adult is that my childhood experience was the opposite of what you describe - or at least i see it that way.

I can't really look back on having any real friends in Church - people who you associated with perhaps but actual genuine friends? na - which is sad i guess.

Funny, when i found myself looking elsewhere i thought i would have to compromise on some theology that i had grown up with - but iv discovered as i got older and wanted to learn more that i changed my opinions and a lot of the teaching of my youth was - in my mind - wrong.

Its funny how life changes