Friday 7 August 2009

Just Do Something... Chapter 8 'The Way of Wisdom'

2
I guess reading this chapter just made so much sense. Quoting Proverbs 2:1-6 Kevin takes us on a path of Biblical Wisdom.

"My son, if you receive my words
and treasure up my commandments with you,
making your ear attentive to wisdom
and inclining your heart to understanding;
yes, if you call out for insight
and raise your voice for understanding,
if you seek it like silver
and search for it as for hidden treasures,
then you will understand the fear of the Lord
and find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord gives wisdom;
from his mouth come knowledge and understanding"

In summarising this Kevin says; "The way of wisdom means three things: searching the Scriptures, seeking wise counsel, and praying to God." He then says "...after you've prayed and studied and sought advice, make a decision and don't hyper-spiritualize it. Do what seems best."

This seems so obvious, and to be honest i'm not sure how we so often miss it. The first thing that wisdom would have us know, is the fear of the Lord, pointing us not toward non-moral issues but to Jesus. Kevin rightly says that when Proverbs talk of 'the fool' it is not talking of "a moron or an oaf. The fool is the person who does not live life God's way."

I guess this chapter made so much sense and seems such an obvious teaching that i'm struggling to write a post about it. But i'll finish by quoting a section which i think is definitely something worthwhile considering and asking of ourselves:

"Are you willing to change your mind when another person's case has more merit than yours? Are you able to hear good advice when it comes from some mouth other than your own and may even contradict your preconceived ideas? Are you willing to admit "I didn't think of that" or "I see your point"? If no one has ever heard you change your mind about something, then you are either a god or you have mistaken yourself for one."


Your Turn
What did you make of this chapter?

John's Post

Next Week
We'll turn to Chapter 9 'Work, Wedlock, and God's Will'
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

2 comments:

John Fitzsimmons. said...

Yea that last quote is a real challenge in humility!

heartafire said...

I think I was around 35 when I was first able to say things like "I'm sorry," or "I was wrong," or "Gosh, I never thought about it that way---you're right!"

My family of origin is still very slow to say "I was wrong" or "I'm sorry," and in fact, I don't think some of them ever will.

It is so freeing to be able to say all of these things honestly, and often.

deYoung is right on the money. Humility is the hallmark of a true Christian, in my book. You rarely find a great Christian leader who is proud.