Thursday 7 August 2008

Holy Discontent

0
Are you content in your Christian life?

I guess my own answer to this depends upon exactly what is meant by the question.
Am I content with Christ - Yes!
But if the question is 'Are you content with where you are, in maturity & consistency' then the answer is - No!
If the question is 'Are you content with your depth of relationship with Jesus' the answer is - No!

Yes I am saved, I am a Christian who is going to heaven, but that's not all there is to it!
Too often I see a prevailing attitude that 'We've stuck up our hand, said the prayer and now that's us sorted with God'.
Too often as I fill in the accountability form we use, I see a trend of failure, laziness & apathy in regards to my own walk. I see a lack of fervent, passionate love for Christ, His word & His call upon me; I see that although I am a Christian, that I have not attained all there is.

Here's how Paul says it:
"Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

Philippians 3:12-14

[In Philippians 3:16 Paul goes on to say "...Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule..." Paul is not talking about striving after salvation, but rather as we have already 'attained' salvation, calling us to strive hard after Christ.]

So lets ask again:
Are we content in our Christian life? Are we content with where we are, our maturity, our relationship with Jesus? Or do we hunger and thirst for more?


May Christ stir us toward a hungering after deeper relationship with Him, to desire a closer walk, greater maturity, consistency in victory over sin through Him and to desire His Word more than ever before. May we be discontent to simply 'coast along', discontent with our knowledge of Him, discontent with our walk. Not that we ask for a discontentment that would have us turn away, rather a discontentment that would drive us forward toward the goal of knowing Christ & the power of His resurrection.
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

No comments: