Wednesday 18 June 2008

Interview With Scott Thomas

3
Scott Thomas is Global Church Pastor, Executive Elder & Secretary at Mars Hill Church Seattle as well as being the Network Director of Acts29 church planting network.

Scott will be speaking at the Dwell conference in London on 12th July '08.


- Tell us a bit about your background, upbringing & call to Jesus?

I grew up in the church. I was a typical church kid who attended every week until I was 14. Both of my parents are believers and still attend the same church where I attended as a child. Jesus converted me at age seven. At 14 years old, I attended a new church with my family and encountered hypocritical fundamentalism and legalism and I quit attending church. I strayed away from my walk with Jesus for five years and was disciplined by the Lord back to Him through a serious vehicle accident that almost took my life. I have walked with Him ever since.

- Since your conversion I'm sure God, by His Spirit has taught you much through His word & by experience. Is there any lesson(s) that God has taught you that stands out in your mind?

Obedience is worship. I experienced religion without obedience in the churches I attended as a child. I was awestruck by the Scripture that God disregards our burnt offerings, but rather seeks our obedience. We cannot worship without obedience to His commands.
Grace is extended to those who least deserve it. I was brought up in a works-righteousness environment—in the church, in home and in athletics. I tried to earn acceptance through my worthy actions. I discovered a God of grace who extends to me salvation, forgiveness and acceptance based on the righteousness of Jesus and for His own glory.

-If you only had a few seconds to tell someone about Jesus what would you say?

i)To a non-Christian?


Jesus loves you and is able to forgive all of your sins (4 seconds).

ii)To a Christian?

Jesus has paid the payment for our sins in full and He has empowered us with the resurrection power of Jesus to overcome every functional savior we have in our lives.

- You are director of Acts29, could you tell us about the origins, vision & goals of Acts29?

Acts 29 began in the year 2000 as a collaborative network of existing churches seeking to multiply the church planting of gospel-centered churches on mission with Jesus in the context of their communities. We are local churches planting new churches with a vision for gospel renewal in our cities and regions. We are training men to lead in our churches and be open to a call of God to lead a church plant.

- What reasons would you give people who may not understand church planting as to why it is needed?

Church plants lead to the most effective evangelism. Church planting is a New Testament principle of multiplication of the gospel in the time and place of a Sovereign God’s choosing (Acts 17).

- I'm from a country (N. Ireland) in which it seems there is a church on every corner, and in between, what would you say about church planting in areas that have a lot of churches already there?

Families on every corner are giving birth to children when the world is populated enough, it seems. Yet, the natural process of a married couple is to create new lives. The natural order of a healthy church is to give birth to a new one. The statistics of population growth compared to the percentage of people attending church is overwhelming. Churches are falling behind the rate of population in almost every country of the world. Additionally, many mainline churches or traditional churches are becoming less evangelical and more liberal about their views of salvation, inerrancy of Scripture and Jesus as the only way to salvation. New church plants that emphasize orthodox gospel teaching are attracting the young evangelicals. New churches that contextualize the gospel in a style that is better understood are attracting unbelievers.

- Are there any main pieces of advice, encouragement or warnings that you would give to anyone who feels called to plant a Church?

Planting a church is not for the weak of heart. It requires a clear calling by Jesus to call people to the mission of Jesus. A person called to start a church must be convinced that doing anything else is disobedience. Once a person is convinced of his call, he must examine his character daily to be in alignment with the requirements for an elder. He must also develop the competencies necessary to be a good shepherd to skillfully lead his flock.

- There's a lot of resources on Acts 29, could you give a few recommendations (a sort of top 10 list)?

Anything by Leslie Newbigin is excellent. Resources produced by Tim Keller and Redeemer Church Planting Center is mandatory. Ed Stetzer resources and books are good. CJ Mahaney’s book on humility is a must read for church planters. Mark Driscoll is producing some excellent resources for church planters and has several books coming out that will benefit the kingdom: Vintage Jesus, Vintage Church, Death by Love and a series of short books, A Book You’ll Actually Read on church leadership. We advocate the puritan writings of John Owen, Richard Baxter, Thomas Watson and CH Spurgeon.

- I like to ask other men about personal & family devotions, how important would you say they are and what do they look like in your life?

In addition to time devoted to reading and praying at a predetermined time, I try to saturate myself in word and prayer throughout the entire day. I try to incorporate the Scripture and prayer into every small detail of life. I don’t bifurcate my “devotions” from the rest of my day. I incorporate that moment-by-moment teaching of Scripture with my children and family similar to Jesus as He stopped at the mundane events of life and used it to share a spiritual application or principle.

- Who has God used to influence, teach and shape your life and walk with Christ?
Mark Driscoll has influenced me greatly with his honest, out of the box view of Scripture. Tim Keller has influenced my understanding of the gospel and of being missional. John Piper has influenced my personal holiness. CJ Mahaney has influenced my relational life. Gary Thomas has shaped my understanding of marriage and the Acts 29 pastors have shaped my love for pastors.

- Are there any speakers, preachers or authors that you'd recommend to others, that may help them fall deeper in love with Jesus?

I am writing a book about the prayer life of John Piper. I am greatly influenced by the writings of Thomas Watson, a puritan author.

- Within the busy task of ministry, do you get time to relax, and what does Scot Thomas do to chill out?

I have seven significant jobs within Mars Hill Church and Acts 29. I do not have much time for myself, if any. My greatest relaxation is being with my wife and two teenage sons. I am as busy as ever but am the least stressed that I ever been.

- Are there any thoughts of our Savior that you would like to finish with here?

His grace is overwhelming me daily. I was drawn into a deeper understanding of this when I read about the genealogy of Jesus in Matthew chapter 1. Those listed in the lineage of a King were adulterers, prostitutes, rapists, pagan foreigners and deceivers. From sinners, our Redeemer was born so that He could die in our place and redeem us from our sinful past.


Thanks to Scott for taking the time to bless and encourage us in answering these!
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

3 comments:

Tim Millen said...

Excellent interview. Many thanks to Scot for sharing your wisdom with us. A real blessing, challenge and encouragement.
Thanks for doing the interview Boaly.

kitchy said...

great job with the interview again mate!

Boaly said...

Thanks kitchy (how was your holiday) but I only asked the questions, the substance is from what Scott says.
I was hugely encouraged & challenged by what he says.