Thursday 24 May 2007

Father & Son

0
This morning, at about 5:45 I fed Jacob before work, nothing exceptional there, but when he finished his bottle I held him upright agains myself to burp him and after an impressive, deep outburs of wind he curled up, grabbed onto me and went to sleep. This is one of those moments where you want the world to stop and time to freeze. Pictures or video are no competition for moments that ingrave themselves to your mind.
But as I sat on the edge of my bed putting off going to work, for once not because of laziness but because I was loving the moment with my son in my arms, the thought occured to me; I don't want to set him down, I don't want to leave him and never in a thousand years would I hurt him, (if i'd been Abraham i'd have stayed home instead of taking Isaac up the mountain).

But what must it have been like for God the Father to seperate Himself from His Son, Jesus and not only that, but to punish Him with all the vengeance and hatred and wrath toward sin?
What a striking and life stopping passage Isaiah 53 is, (read this with a Fathers eyes, i'll just quote extracts).

"He was despised and rejected- a man of sorrows, aquainted with bitterest grief. We turned our backs on Him and looked the other way when He went by. He was despised, and we did not care." [What if this was describing your child?]
"Yet it was our weakness He carried; it was our sorrows that weighed Him down. And we thought His troubles were punishment from God for His own sins! But He was wounded and crushed for our sins. He was beaten that we might have peace. He was whipped and we were healed...the LORD laid on Him the guilt and sins of us all.
He was oppressed and treated harshly, yet He never said a word. He was led like a lamb to the slaughter.
From prison and trial they led Him away to His death.
But it was the LORD's good plan to crush Him"
New Living Translation
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

No comments: