Friday 20 April 2018

Song of Solomon 2:9-14 Tender Words in Spring

0
My beloved speaks and says to me:
“Arise, my love, my beautiful one,
 and come away, for behold, the winter is past;
the rain is over and gone.
The flowers appear on the earth,
 the time of singing has come,
 and the voice of the turtledove is heard in our land..."


I'm pointing to chapter 2 verses 9-14 but I've only quoted verses 10-12 above because I think it holds a great summary of these verses.

Tender Words
Look at how tenderly this man speaks to the young lady; my love, my beautiful one, my dove etc are all very romantic and tender terms. This man is a great example in how we men should treat our wives with our words. Abuse is not limited to the physical sin of men towards their families, but also and perhaps as damaging are the words we speak. When we consider the words of Jesus when He declared that out of the abundance of the heart so the mouth speaks, our words are a huge indication of our level of love and intimacy in a relationship.

In Spring
The man describes their love as being like spring, the rain is gone, flowers are budding forth and it is a time for singing. New relationships can often seem like spring, yet as the years go by we may describe a marriage as more like the blizzard of winter or the scorching of summer. But not so with this couple at this point. It is all new, all butterflies in the tummy and laughter at even the worst jest.
We will return to spring as we hit later passages and particularly later years in this couples marriage.

We men must do our best to keep that springtime romance alive. This isn't easy because we men tend to drop romance once the ring is on the finger. And quite often our creativity seems to die as a relationship goes on. But this should not be the case.

Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

No comments: