We must remember that we cannot save our kids, that is the Spirit's job. For this reason we must saturate our teachings with prayers that Christ would be pleased to use the truth of His Word to save them, sanctify them and lead them to continual repentance from sin and following of Him!
Over the years I've found a structure has helped me pray consistently and specifically over my children. I came across it first as an article by Tom Steller and tweaked it slightly but the bones are the same. Unfortunately i couldn't find his original article or i'd point to that.
These are pointers i've memorised and lead me to flesh them out each time
Because only the Spirit of God can awaken our kids, giving them a new heart and opening their eyes to the light of the Gospel in the face of Jesus as seen through His Word, i believe that prayer over our children is the most crucial part of raising children.
- That Jesus would call them to Himself & nothing hinder their drawing close & pursuit of Him (Matt 19:13-15).
- That they would be sealed by, filled with and walk in the Spirit of God throughout their lives (Eph 1:13, Eph 5:18, Gal 5:16).
- That they would store up the Word of God in their hearts (Ps 119:11), & be Sanctified by it (John 17:17).
- That the fruits of the Spirit would flourish abundantly in their lives (Gal 5:22-25) giving no footing for the works of the flesh.
- That they would stand firm against the evil one (Eph 6:11).
- That they would obey the commission to make disciples (Matt 28:18-20).
- That God would supply all their needs (Phil 4:19).
- That they may face suffering with a Gospel saturated hope in Christ (Col 2:24).
- That they will love God with their whole heart, soul mind & strength, and love their neighbour as they love themselves (Mark 12:30).
And often it is much easier to read and pray with them than to take the time each day, like Job, and mediate on their behalf. It's a commitment i need to make a fresh and one that is needed by us all.
Lets pray for our children