Tuesday 15 September 2009

A Biography I Want to Read - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

0

I don't know much about Dietrich Bonhoeffer, but after watching Valkyrie, a few bits that i've heard about Bonhoeffer drove me to Wikipedia to find out more. Getting Wikipedia's take on this guy has made me want to get a biography on him & read some of his own writings.

Because of his involvement in conspiracies against Hitler Bonhoeffer was executed on April 9th 1945. He was brought out naked and hanged with thin wire. What struck me, and has won my attention to look into this guy is what the camp doctor who witnessed the execution wrote:

“I saw Pastor Bonhoeffer ... kneeling on the floor praying fervently to God. I was most deeply moved by the way this lovable man prayed, so devout and so certain that God heard his prayer. At the place of execution, he again said a short prayer and then climbed the few steps to the gallows, brave and composed. His death ensued after a few seconds. In the almost fifty years that I worked as a doctor, I have hardly ever seen a man die so entirely submissive to the will of God.”
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

No comments: