Wednesday 20 May 2009

Those Who Are Crucified With Christ

7
On Sunday David Dunlop quoted Tozer's 3 characteristics of someone who's crucified with Christ, here's that quote:

"There are three characteristics of those who are crucified with Christ. First, they have no plans of their own. You can't make many plans when you're hanging on a cross. Second, they are looking in just one direction. And third, they're not coming down."
A.W. Tozer


David also quoted a simple but equally astounding phrase from Bonhoeffer:

"When Christ calls a man, He bids him come and die."
D Bonhoeffer
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

7 comments:

Peter P said...

Wow.

You can't make plans when you're hanging on a cross.

Boaly said...

I know, doesn't it seem so obvious yet so radically different than our usual thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for these Gary.

We are learning these lessons. Slowly. But surely.

Blessings,
A

Boaly said...

Would you say that moving forward in foreign missions (so to speak) helps in learning these?

Anonymous said...

I thinks that's a fair point Gary. There's a line in a Sovereign Grace Music song which says 'You have stripped me of everything I would depend on, so I'd depend on you'. I think moving cross culturally can have that effect. I know that we've never felt so weak in our lives, nor have known such an outpouring of God's grace and strength. But we're also realising that the call to come and die is a daily imperative - its just as easy to harden your heart to that call to discipleship in a cross cultural setting as it is in the home culture. I think the great advantage to being here is learning resignation and dependence from our point of view, and also just how gracious God is when we hand things over to Him.

Will keep calling by (normally a daily occurence at the moment). You're posting some really good material and links. Much appreciated.

Blessings,
A

Boaly said...

Thanks Andrew, so so encouraging!

“If you find me short in things, impute that to my love of brevity. If you find me besides the truth in anything, impute that to my infirmity. But if you find anything here that serves to your furtherance and joy of the faith, impute that to the mercy of God bestowed on you and me. Yours to serve you with what little I have.”

John Bunyan (Works, 1:336).



After reading your comment i took a bit of time to pray for you guys, & thanking Jesus for giving you strength!



(Would you be up for letting me ask you a few questions for the ol' blog?)

Anonymous said...

Hi Gary,

Thanks for your prayers, much appreciated.

No problem re the questions - happy to contribute anything I can. I'll send you my email address.

Blessings to you and yours,
A