Tuesday 10 February 2009

Set on Fire by a Few Great Things

7
I'm not sure why but yesterday John Piper's opening paragraph from Passion one day 2000 came flooding back into my mind, bringing both a challenge & a thrill. As they've rattled around my mind once again, I thought I'd share them here:

"You don't have to know a lot of things for your life to make a lasting difference in the world. But you do have to know the few great things that matter, and then be willing to live for them and die for them. The people that make a durable difference in the world are not the people who have mastered many things, but who have been mastered by a few great things. If you want your life to count, if you want the ripple effect of the pebbles you drop to become waves that reach the ends of the earth and roll on for centuries and into eternity, you don't have to have a high IQ or EQ; you don't have to have to have good looks or riches; you don't have to come from a fine family or a fine school. You have to know a few great, majestic, unchanging, obvious, simple, glorious things, and be set on fire by them."

What are we set on fire by?
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just out of curiousity, were you there at One Day? I was able to be there in Shelby Farms on that rainy day. Piper's was a powerful message and I now have it on CD and have listened to it since May 2000. This is a great question for us all...

Boaly said...

Nah, I knew nothing of Passion untill a friend lent me the video of one day, I then bought the dvd etc... looks like it was an amazing day! even on dvd it's evident that Christ was doing something!
What would you say of the day having been there? any reflections looking back etc?

Anonymous said...

It was quite a weekend. Actually, the night before "One Day" a storm blew through interrupting many people's sleep, comfort, etc. Also, they didn't have enough showers brought in so you had like 7mins after waiting in line for a LONG time. Those things happen and I like to camp, so, they weren't BIG deals...

What was cool was that there were so many people of similar age, similar life-periods (in college or recently finished, etc.) with so much of their life's story to write and the call, specifically from John Piper, was to GO and TELL! Transfer to another college, volunteer overseas, etc. just go! Louie spoke from the gospels when Jesus fed the 5000 (if memory serves correctly) and spoke about the small lunch the boy had to offer and challenged us - look what God was able to do with just a small stack of Pringles... what do you have to offer? Will you offer what he's given to you?

I'd have to pull out my journal from the time and look for more specifics. It was certainly a weekend that I'll remember for quite some time.

I haven't seen the DVD, but the One Day Live CD brings back great memories - especially when Charlie Hall is talking about the weather, how long it would take us all to leave, etc. and we began singing: Shout to the north and the south...

Anonymous said...

Also, before it all started, they had a tower set up over the field and (again, if memory serves me correctly) the whole of scripture was read over the field before anyone set foot on it - the idea was from an OT passage... Joel, perhaps? I'm afraid I don't know my prophets, especially the minor books, that well.

Boaly said...

The more I hear about it the more I wish i'd been there! It just seems so different from most events etc & so Christ centered.

A friend met a girl in France who had become a missionary there as a direct result of John Piper's message when she was there at One Day.

I didin't realize the whole of Scripture was read out - that is absolutely amazingly brilliant!

Anonymous said...

I know this post was some time back, but I've recently pulled down my journal during that time period and I think I'm going to write a blog post quoting from it. I'll link to this post, but I thought I'd give you the "heads up".

Boaly said...

No worries