Tuesday 30 September 2008

Resolutions From James

0
At the Desiring God Conference Sinclair Ferguson gave the following resolutions about how we speak, taken from the Book of James.

1. I resolve to ask God for wisdom to speak out of a single-minded devotion to him (1:5).

2. I resolve to boast only in the exultation I receive in Jesus Christ and also in the humiliation I receive for Jesus Christ (1:9-10).

3. I resolve to set a watch over my mouth (1:13).

4. I resolve to be constantly quick to hear and slow to speak (1:19).

5. I resolve to learn the gospel way of speaking to both rich and poor (2:1-4).

6. I resolve to speak in the present consciousness of my final judgment (2:12).

7. I resolve never to stand on anyone’s face with the words I employ (2:16).

8. I resolve never to claim as reality in my life what I do not truly experience (3:14).

9. I resolve to resist quarrelsome words as evidence of a bad heart that needs to be mortified (4:1).

10. I resolve never to speak decided evil against another out of a heart of antagonism (4:11).

11. I resolve never to boast in any thing but what I will accomplish (4:13).

12. I resolve to speak as one subject to the providences of God (4:15).

13. I resolve never to grumble. The judge is at the door (5:9).

14. I resolve never to allow anything but total integrity in everything I say (5:12).

15. I resolve to speak to God in prayer whenever I suffer (5:13).

16. I resolve to sing praises to God whenever I’m cheerful (5:14).

17. I resolve to ask for the prayers of others when I’m in need (5:14).

18. I resolve to confess it whenever I have failed (5:15).

19. I resolve to pray with others for one another whenever I am together with them (5:15).

20. I resolve to speak words of restoration when I see another wander (5:19).
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

No comments: