Tuesday 22 April 2008

Have we got our Tamarisk Tree?

0
In Genesis 21:33 we read that "Abraham planted a tamarisk tree (or grove in kjv) in Beersheba, and there called on the name of the Lord, the Everlasting God."

I checked up (praise God for Google) what a tamarisk is and found that it includes about 50-60 plants that are well suited to desert situations having deep roots and a flower that doesn't burn up in the desert heat. So I actually sway to the 'grove' aspect here and think that Abraham planted a bit of a garden.
Thomas Brooks in 'The Secret Key to Heaven' points us in this direction, teaching that Abraham was building for himself a place where he could go aside from his normal routine, a place to privately meet with God in prayer.
Now, imagine if my neighbours were to look out their back window or across the fence to see me dandering around my garden talking away, an ambulance might show up. So I'm not hinting that we all plant a garden and use that as our place of prayer. But I think we see a huge implication in the 'effort' that Abraham puts in here in his quest to meet with God.

He actually sets about creating a space for himself to go to and pray.

Jesus says in Matthew 6:6
"But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly"

I'm sure of one thing; I need to repent and set myself about creating a space and putting more effort into entering that space for secret prayer.
Yes we are to pray without ceasing, which leads us to pray at work, at school, at home, wherever we are, but I think we see a very clear instruction in the words of Jesus and in the example of Abraham that we ought to put effort into creating a secluded place, away from the norm, where we can go for private prayer and worship with our Creator, making full use of the call to this type of prayer and of the promise that when God sees in secret, He'll reward in the open.
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

No comments: