Monday 20 October 2008

A Database of Knowledge about You

0
Apparently the British Government has 'raw' plans for an initiative to collect information about every phone call, email and Internet visit made in the UK.

According to the Belfast Telegraph this "will allow the authorities to collect and retain details of every phone number we have called or texted, as well as every address to which we have sent emails and Internet site we have accessed. "

Government watchdogs have already spoken out against this as I'm sure many others will. But as I read about this with an initial discomfort about the idea, the thought occurred that 'if you've nothing to hide, then there's nothing to fear'!

This bill from the Government, though making us uncomfortable isn't to be feared by Christians, that is if our conduct by phone & Internet etc is done 'to the glory of God' as 1 Corinthians 10:31 commands us.

Also, this would serve as a small shadow of God's knowledge about each person in the world - He not only knows the details of every text, phone call, email & Internet site visited. But every thought; word; motive; hearts yearning in lust, anger, pride, jealousy; He knows every action, intent and indeed every single thing about every single millisecond of our lives.

And the command of 1 Corinthians 10:31 "Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do everything to the glory of God" is something that should strike fear in us concerning what God knows about us. I know that even the good I do is tainted with sin, and that I fail miserably to do 'everything' to His glory!
---------------------

This brings to mind reasons why I love the Cross where Christ propitiated & expiated my sin, forgiving & cleansing me & imputing His righteousness to me as well as giving the Holy Spirit to direct & empower me to live for Him.

- Apart from His cross I would stand before Him with a mountain of evidence that says I should suffer His wrath for eternity.

- Apart from His cross I could do nothing to His glory since apart from the cross whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

- Apart from His cross I would feel only shame, fear & guilt at the thought of a 'database' of knowledge about every aspect of my life.
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

No comments: