Friday 25 July 2008

Thoughts from Film - The Dark Knight

0
A few of us went to see The Dark Knight last night, and I thought it was every bit as good as people have said it was. The performance of Heath Ledger as the Joker was indeed a bit disturbing but hilariously funny, and if talk is right & an oscar is given for his performance, it would be well deserved.

A prominent theme was the question of how far Batman should go in order to clean up Gotham and at what sacrifice. Themes that echo in alot of great stories & films. Themes that I believe are written deeply in the human heart and are shadow to the true epic of God's redemptive plan.

This film manages to keep a balance between story line and action without compromising one for the other as so many comic book films have done. Taking off about six months after Batman Begins, this film continues the struggle between good & evil but the arrival of the Joker certainly brings a new level of cruelty & blurs the division of good & evil in the already wicked world of Gotham pushing Batman to the limits of how far he'll go in his fight for justice.

Though I'd describe it as being quite a violent film & recommend that parents suss it out before their kids go, I would say that I enjoyed this film more than any of the comic book heros turned into film, and perhaps would rate highly in my top 5 films (I have to give that list some thought).

Favourite scene
Watch out for the Joker walking out of the hospital - you'll know what I mean when you see it!

A pointer to Christ
I'm tempted to write more about the film but I'll refrain, even to point out some of the themes in it that made me think of Christ as a superior saviour would spoil the film for those who haven't yet seen it. I'll stick with the questions related above, only in relation to Jesus:

How far did Jesus go to redeem the world and at what cost?
Author Image

About Boaly
Gary has been involved in printing the Scriptures for 20 years, enjoys photography and rambling online

No comments: